Tuesday, September 8, 2009

grandpa great's big party

The morning after Grandpa Great died, we talked to the girls one at a time about his passing. They loved Grandpa Great completely.

Of course there were a few tears.

He had teased them, sang to them, shared his Cheetos and cookies, taken them on four-wheeler rides to the park, and most importantly. . .he had delighted in them. That's the best word I can think of to describe it. I've never seen anyone delight in a child quite like Grandpa did.

He seemed to get an especially big kick out of Emmy. Something about her giggle, her freckles, and spunky personality. His eyes would sparkle with laughter as the two of them bantered back and forth.

The day of the viewing, we talked with the girls about what would be happening the next two days. Emmy kept getting a little confused. Throughout the day, she kept asking me questions such as, "What time is Grandpa's reception?" Each time I would try to explain things again, but I could tell it was all a bit confusing.

You have to understand, Courtney has a very large family. Lots and lots of cousins, a few who he hadn't really visited with in years! And so, as we arrived at the viewing there was, of course, some fun visiting going on. Lots of reminiscing, catching up, and laughter.

After we had been there for an hour or so, Emmy came to me and asked me to take her to the little girl's room. We held hands as I led her in and out of people down the long hallway. Once inside the restroom, she went into the stall while I waited by the door. I could see her little feet kicking back and forth while she contemplated the meaning of life. After relating a few of her observations to me, she paused and then chirped,
"This is a pretty big party, you know."

I could just hear Grandpa laughing.