Wednesday, February 1, 2012

claire keeps me in line


Just wanted to remember a few funny things Claire said yesterday. . .

Lately she's been quite a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies.  I know, I know.  Pretty good watching for a three year old, eh?  What can I say, she and her Grandpa  Monty are quite the buddies right now.  I never even liked those movies that much.  Okay, I'll be honest.  I suffered through the first few (Courtney's family are huge fans), and when we went to the last one I sat and counted ceiling tiles and wondered how long a movie could possibly last.  Right at the very end when they are climbing some big mountain and tussling over the ring I asked Courtney, "So, what's the big deal about the ring?"  He tells me now that it was at that point that he knew that I loved him very much.  After all I sat through a twenty hour movie and had no clue what the whole thing was about.  I remember the girl next to me was crying as the movie finished because she was so sad it was over, whilst I was crying tears of joy because Hooray! it was over!

So.  I just had to explain all that so you know that it's not I who is showing my three year old such movies. 

We first became aware of her and Grandpa's pastime when Courtney got up early one morning and was walking past Claire's bedroom when he heard her growl, "Who goes there?"  She is obviously much smarter than I because she definitely know what is going on.  She can explain the history behind the "big deal about the ring" with finesse.  For a while now, our days of playing princesses have been replaced by acting out battles between "Legonus" and the "mud Orks" and other three-year-old worthy pretend play. 

It's not that I haven't tried to put a stop to it.  After all, I have a few qualms about the girls watching severed heads flying about.  My concerns were met by arguments from the big sisters.  "But MOM!  We're not even scared!  It's SO awesome!"  These are the same girls who told me that the movie Lassie was "good, but a little bit scary".  Go figure.  And you know how those grandpa's are.  Especially the best kind whose grandkids have them wrapped around their little fingers.  There's nothing better for my kids than spending a day with Grandma and Grandpa.  It's unlimited Oreos and Lord of the Rings galore.



Anyway, that was a long introduction to yesterday's story:  Claire was looking at the cover for the movie Babe (which was Ryenne's favorite movie at this age, by the way.  Amazing what changes between the first child and the fourth.)  She was wondering why the dog looked so mad.  I explained that the dog is old and a little bit grouchy.  Immediately, she declared, "He better stop being so grouchy or I'm going to kick him to Mount Doom!"  I laughed out loud, and then she started giggling too, explaining, "Mom!  That's Lord of the Rings!" 

One more story:  I was pumping yesterday and Claire asked me why I was "showing my specials".  She told me in no uncertain terms that we aren't supposed to show our specials.  I agreed and tried to explain that I wasn't really showing them to anyone.  I must not have been very convincing because she looked up toward the heavens and said, "Jesus, Mom is showing her specials" and then looked at me sternly and said, "Jesus is very angry." 


So there you have it.  I'm getting reprimanded by my three year old Lord of the Rings addict.  I guess I better mind my P's and Q's.  If I get too out of line, she may decide to kick me to Mount Doom.

2 comments:

Darcie said...

so funny :)

Darcie said...

so funny :). and i agree about lord of the rings... I think I saw the first one, but i'm not even sure!