Sunday, April 18, 2010

the best of both worlds

Beautiful day outside, it is.

Ryenne and I walked home from church, discussing lessons learned and the overall state of the union. Upon arriving, she ran across the lawn to play beneath the trees. I was standing in our driveway talking to my parents when she tromped over proclaiming that a bird had. . . .
ummm, relieved itself upon her dear little head.

She squirmed. I laughed. And then my mom announced that it must run in the genes. The attraction of birds and their subsequent droppings, that is. It's happened to my mom at least a half dozen times.

This made me laugh again.

While Ryenne washed her hair, Courtney and I lay on our bed, exhausted from the morning at church. 8:30 in the morning! I tell you, Sunday mornings will exhaust the best of saints. (And we're not among that group). Especially the slightly unprepared ones who are on the roster to teach sharing time, arrive extra early to set up the chairs in the primary room, plus manage the beautification of self and four gals. If we make it one piece, it's nothing short of a miracle.

No wonder we flop onto our bed at the completion of our worship each Sunday.

Our effort at recuperation was interrupted by three little girls bouncing around on the bed asking for a bit of lunch. The nerve! Emmy was most especially energetic. Loud, louder, loudest. Her dad kindly reminded her that she either tone it down or be "uninvited" to the gathering. Following this declaration, he rolled over. I'm thinking it was one of those if I can't see you then you'll go away kind of efforts.

Emmy watched for him to close his eyes, and then promptly announced, "All right! The old man is asleep!"

I laughed so hard I cried.







That's how life is, I've decided.

Some days make you laugh. Others will bring you to tears.

I like it best when I get to do both.

1 comment:

tacomamajen said...

Kelly you have the best family & home. I remember those big trees in your yard. Tons of happy times & memories in that yard with cousins & grammie & Andrea. love you
p.s. this is what happens when i don't have kids, i turn all sappy