Sunday, June 7, 2009

somewhere along the way

Somewhere along the way it happened.
You started growing up.

One day you were in my arms.

Now I'm having to start letting go.
Even though it's just a little bit,
It hurts.


They warned me it would happen.
Before you know it.
In the blink of an eye.

I'm getting afraid to blink.

.
Did I enjoy it enough?
Did I pay enough attention?


I need you.
Nudge me, help me remember.

To pay attention.
To not be distracted.


Help me remember to laugh.
To put down the lists.
To be here.
With you.


Because somewhere along the way


the little girl I once held in my arms


is growing up.

2 comments:

Darcie said...

Oh Kelly, I've been having these same feelings the past few weeks. I can't believe Caroline is almost 3. I'm sure it seems silly (cuz she's only 3), but what happened to the terrible twos? They went by so quickly. I'm really so sad that in a couple months, Caroline will no longer be two. It really makes you want to make the most of every moment you have with then during every stage.

Hum... maybe I'll quick my job next week.

If only. :)

Melissa Summers said...

Kelly I loved your little poem. So sweet. It sums up my feelings about my Emma perfectly. Did you write it? If not who did? I would love to have it, to use it, if I may. Let me know.