Monday, June 1, 2009

my very own path

Yes, I know. I've been slacking.

But you see, it's not because I've been sitting around watching Oprah. My oh my. . . we've been busy little beavers around this place. That happens when you live on 2.5 acres. Especially when you're trying to whip that 2.5 acres into shape.

This morning I had a little epiphany. And although I have approximately 1,000,000 things on my to do list, I wanted to think this through.

My mom gave me last weeks newspapers to read, mentioning that there was an article about an old high school friend I might be interested in. Turns out that this friend was back in town last week to recieve a Distinguished Alumni award at the high school graduation. I spent a few minutes reading about her career in Microbiology. Seems she's recieved her PhD, along with numerous professional accolades. She frequently travels around the country presenting her research at various conferences and is often published in medical journals. Sounds like she's been fairly busy. You know, figuring out the segregation process of stem cells, finding a cure for cancer, and other little things like that.

So here is what happened next. For just a moment, I might have wondered what I've been doing for the past 14 years. I may have questioned what it is that I have accomplished. And my answers might have seemed a bit unglamorous. And for just a moment, it may have crossed my mind that my life is not "Distinguished" material. After all, I live just .5 miles from the home I grew up in. I spend my days wearing a pony tail and doing the laundry. Not much to write about.

But then I had a reality check. Moments before, I had kissed a cute boy goodbye and wished him a good day. I'd spent the morning giggling with the girls after singing at the top of my lungs in an effort to inspire them to get out of bed. There may have even been a few cheerleader moves involved. I was feeding breakfast to the sweetest little 10 month old, while cuddling a sassy little 4 year old on my lap.

I laugh every day. I teach, I comfort, I grow. I love my life.

In that moment, I was reminded that we each have our own path. Mine might not be glamorous, and it might not be for everyone. But it's the right path for me. It doesn't mean that my path is more right or wrong than anyone else.

As a good friend once taught me, "There are many ways to do the right thing."

Life is funny. It's not always smooth, and it almost never goes as planned. But I have learned that my Father in Heaven has created a path for me that is uniquely mine.

And I'm happy to be here. To see what is ahead. . .to learn from where I've been. To do my very best.

On my very own path.

1 comment:

Darcie said...

Wonderful post Kelly. I think you do need to write that book! I'll buy the first copy. :)