Wednesday, June 17, 2009

how we spend a perfectly good summer afternoon

Have you ever walked a lamb?


I have. I can say that now. Well, kind of.

I actually walked alongside Ryenne and Kate and offered encouragement as they walked
(ie: coerced, pulled, nudged, cursed, and chased) the lambs today.


Why are we walking lambs, you ask? Well that, my friend, is an interesting question.

Turns out that Courtney is somewhat of a country boy.


Now, you may think that since I was raised in the country, I am also a country girl. Oh, contrare, my friends. I was raised in a home where the dinner table conversation consisted of two topics: cars and trucks. Being that my family is in the car business, I am well versed in the make and model of most anything with 4 wheels.
My cute husband, on the other hand, was raised in a home where the dinner time discussion centered on anything from, well. . . it's not like they only talk sheep. But lets just say he's a bit well versed on the make and model of these 4 legged friends.

Which is why we now are the proud owners of a woolly and somewhat stubborn 4-H project named Spike. (Kate isn't old enough for her own 4-H project. Of course, this is so much fun she asked to walk a lamb today anyway. The choice? Cousin Kylee's lamb, Evil Tim.)


Here is the lowdown. Seems that this project of ours needs exercising to get the kids and the lamb more comfortable with each other. I'm also thinking I heard something about the walking helping to "finish" the carcase? Something like that. (My carcase could use a little finishing too, but I didn't see anyone taking me out on a walk today.)


Anyway, that explains why we spent a perfectly good summer afternoon doing this:


and this (untangling Spike and Evil Tim):


and this (yelling at each other when the lambs weren't cooperating).


Kate: "Ryenne, you've got to show him who's boss!"


Ryenne: "KATE! Stop telling me what to do!"





Kate: "Now we're going."



Ryenne: "Can we turn around now?"



Mom: "You're doing great. Don't stop. Just keep them moving. Don't hesitate."


Ryenne and Kate: "WE'RE NOT HESITATING! THEY WON'T MOVE!"


(At which point, mom tries taking the halter. The girls are right. The darned things won't move.)




Mom: "Isn't there a button or something you're supposed to push?" (I have watched the in-laws a little bit. I'm thinking there is some little "button" they push in the tail end region that seems to inspire movement).


Ryenne: "Why don't you push it?"


Mom: "Oh, you're the one who knows what you're doing. You push it."




Kate (ever the optimist): "Now we're moving. All is well. We've just got to show them who's boss."


Ryenne: "Can't we turn around now?"



Finally, we are heading home. Fast. Guess those little guys know where the grain is at.





Mom: "HOLD ON! DON'T LET GO!"


Kate: trips. Lets go of Evil Tim. "Owwwwww!" (Tears. . .apologies).


Luckily, Evil Tim and Spike had only one thing on their minds at this point. Getting back to their home sweet pasture. Ryenne sprinted after the two of them, and got them into the fence. This was after chasing back the escapee lambs who sneaked out . . .something to do with the gate being left open in the process. Chore booted and sweaty, she casually told me all about the little mishap as she righted the tipped over wheel burrow, re-hung the pitchforks, and replaced the halters on their hook.


If I didn't have these pictures to remind me, I would have thought the whole experience was a breeze.


Seems I'm raising a couple of country girls. Awesome.


I can't wait for our next walk.

3 comments:

Darcie said...

Kelly... never EVER seen a post like this before. You're putting us city moms to shame. My girls are deprived and have never walked a lamb (or even a dog!).

Heather W. said...

Oh Kelly how exciting!! I can't wait to see them at the fair!

Val said...

This post left me laughing 'til the tears came pouring out. Oh, the memories of walking those blasted sheep when I was younger. I loved having a good laugh! Way to catch the moment Kelly...