Thursday, January 19, 2012

they turn my frowns upside down

Last week I was (obviously) a little down.  Some day I will learn that I should never post anything until I give myself a few days to rebound.

Anyhow, one night we were sitting at dinner and I was feeling a little glum.  Sensing this, the girls asked me why I was sad.  Being the nutcase I am, I started crying.  Because, you know, everyone needs a good cry over a plate of spaghetti every now and again.  Lucky for me, I live amongst a gaggle of girls and they understand tears.  Them sisters know how to pull off a good cry.  As for the menfolk, at this wee age, the little one loves me regardless and the big one figured out how crazy I am years ago.  For some reason unbeknownst to me, he loves me anyway. 

Well.  I sat there and blubbered and my gang did what they did best.  They made me smile.  Courtney started off by telling me about how he'd found Emmy and Claire playing earlier.  Emmy was taking Claire's "bridal portraits" complete with a backdrop, dress, and a veil.  Then he went and got the camera to show me the spectacular results of their photo shoot.  He knew what he was doing.  Those pictures made me laugh alright.  They made us all laugh.

Next it was Ryenne's turn.  She reminded me about tender mercies, telling me something like this, "Whenever you feel sad, you just need to think of your tender mercies.  Like, if your sad because your house is dirty, it means that you're lucky to have a house.  And if your family is making you mad, you're lucky to have a family."  Then she explained, "I am learning that whenever I feel sad, I can almost always think of a tender mercy." 

She's right, you know. 

Kate followed it up by telling me how I am the best mom in the whole world, and she is so lucky to have a mom like me.  We both know I'm more than a little far from being the best mom in the whole world, but Kate is great at making sure I know that she knows I am trying my best.  That means a lot.  She's a sweetheart, that one.

To top it off, Emmy brought Samuel to me and said, "Here, hold Samuel for a while.  Holding him always makes me feel better."  Wise beyond her years, I say.

By the time dessert rolled around, I was feeling much better.  I tend to be a little dramatic, and I suppose I worry far too much about pretty much everything.  Thank goodness for a family who loves me in spite of myself and makes me smile through my tears.  I'll tell you what- right now I'm especially thankful for best, most favorite tender mercies. 

All six of  'em.

No comments: