Wednesday, October 10, 2007

kelly, kelly, kelly. . .

Having been recently inspired by my fellow bloggers, here is a little bit about me. . .

1. Job history . . .
This was hard for me to remember! My first job was probably babysitting (I have to confess I never enjoyed it). In high school I worked at my Dad's business filing papers. Also, my family cleaned the high school natatorium at nights. (I was mortified by this in junior high- little did I know how cleaning up after people would prepare me for a lifetime of it as the head janitor of our home.) The summer before I left for Ricks, I worked as a hostess at a local restaurant, which taught me that I didn't want to pursue a career in the food industry!

I worked at the Continuing Ed. dept. my freshman and sophomore year.

The summer between those years was spent telemarketing, selling Feature Films for Families. I am definitely not a saleswoman, and spent the first week crying! But the people I worked with were fun.

After graduating from Ricks, I went with the Sociology Dept. to Chicago, and worked with the Inner-City Youth Foundation. We volunteered for credit- but what an awesome experience. I loved it.

Following Chicago, I left for BYU-Hawaii. I wasn't planning on working there, but quickly found out that the post office was run polynesian style. Bless their hearts ( I loved them all!), this was not condusive for getting the mail out in a very prompt manner. After a month of not recieving mail (especially from Courtney!) I knocked on the door of the post office and told them I would work for free if I could just find my mail in the process! They led me to a gigantic room filled with boxes and sacks of mail that had been sitting there for heavens knows how long!

To make a long story shorter, before long I was a paid employee of the BYU-H post office. It was a blast! I got to drive or push the mail cart around campus, fill mail slots, and get laughed at by all my polynesian friends at my pronunciation of all the very loooooong polynesian names as we sorted mail! I'd actually forgotten about that funny job story.

After BYU-H, I came back to USU and worked at ICON Fitness, testing exercize equiptment. Basically, I got paid to run on treadmills, uses a stair climber, etc. and chat with all the fun people. In retrospect, I realize this was a pretty good gig! I also did an internship that year working in the counseling office at Rocky Mountain Jr. High in Roy. I tell you, junior high is a lot more fun the second go-around. After graduation, I worked for Bear River Mental Health with children's mental health until Ryenne was born. I had a handful of children who I worked with- teaching life skills, coordinating services for them, and helping them participate in group therapy. I thought I enjoyed it at the time, but after I quit, I realized what an emotional drain it had been. I think that I never felt like I was doing enough. I think that it also made me into a paranoid mom! After a while of working in a job like that and reading case files, you hear lots of "bad guy" stories!

Anyway, since Ryenne was born, I've taught Musikgarten (early childhood music) classes once or twice a week. I love this, which is pretty much singing, playing insruments, dancing, and pretending. I haven't done much of that the last year or so- life has gotten to crazy. So there is my job history!

My confession? My favorite is being home! I really do like it much more than I thought I would! (Much better than babysitting!) I really have no desire to work, I guess because I can't keep up with everything as it is! The longer I do it, the more I realize how much I have to learn! No job boredom here!

A few more facts about me. . .
2. My favorite new find.
Dark Chocolate! I am loving the new Hersheys Extra Dark, especially the kind with almonds and dried blueberries. It's wonderful and comes in these tiny little packages so I can just have one in the afternoon when I need a little something happy!

3. My favorite recent purchase.
My road bike! I love it! I am a bit burnt out on running and this is such a fun change of pace. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I smile the whole time I'm riding. What fun! Plus, I feel like I'm helping other people get in their daily laugh when they get to see me in those tight, shiny bikeshorts with the "pillow" in the bum. As if I needed anything extra right there.

4. My latest revelation about myself.
I am a bit of a control freak! You may be laughing, but I never realized this about myself until recently. I have found a few problems with this character trait. First of all, I am not a super organised, in control person. This poses a challege, because I want everything to be in order, but I don't really have a knack to keep it that way. Second, family life with 3 kids and a husband who is a (wonderful) workaholic is perpetually out of control! So, if you have any therapy secrets for me, please share.

5. My favorite brownie recipe.
This comes from my mother in law (who is also an angel). Very yummy.
2 squares butter
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
Cream butter and sugar. Add cocoa, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients (but don't mix too much. Add 1 pkg. chocolate chips. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350. Enjoy!

So, here is a bit about me. I'd love to hear a few facts about you - please share!

2 comments:

Darcie said...

Kelly, I love reading this post. What persistence in getting those Courtney letters! :) I remember when you worked for Bear River Mental Health, funny how your perspective changes about a job after you leave it. At least you enjoyed it while you were there, to have it happen the other way around would be a bummer. Yes, I swan in that natatorium a # of times, including in Junior High, I guess I have you to thank for it's cleanliness. Congrats on the road bike, I am officially jealous. Now you'll kill em in those triathalons.

Oh, sorry Kelly, I hate to break it to you, but you liking dark chocolate should not be a revelation to you. I've known about your chocolate obsession for some time now. I seem to remember 6 girls crammed in a Ford Probe with their hearts set on a Maverick Frozen yogurt. I also seem to remember a certain someone taking me to the Rexburg Dairy Queen and convincing me to order a Oreo fudge milkshake with her with extra fudge). And I don't remember ordering a small. And I don't remember sharing it either. Thus was born my love affair with chocolate as well. Sigh . . .

This could officially be the longest comment I have ever left on anyone's blog.

dippyrooroo said...

I'm so glad you did a post about yourself! That Kelly the mail girl story is great! I'm glad you remembered it! And on the dark chocolate note, my Mom and my brother Spencer have become dark chocolate drug dealers! They sell and use it for it's health benefits. It's nearly cured Spence of his allergy problems. Apparently it's very good for you, so enjoy without guilt!