Friday, April 19, 2013

hawaii. . .our home base

When we decided to go to Hawaii, we knew we wanted a house on the beach- away from the business of Honolulu and Waikiki.  We ended up finding a little place up toward the north shore, about 15 minutes away from BYU-Hawaii.  We had the mountains at our back and the ocean in front.  Chinaman's Hat was just to the North of us.  The beach was good, but pretty rocky in the water, and so the girls spent most of their time at home beach combing.  The little rock wall was covered in their treasures, and every day they would show us their new finds. 
 


 
 

 
 

One of the first afternoons we kayaked to Chinaman's Hat.  It was pretty breezy, and I got an earful from a certain daughter who felt as though my kayaking skills left a little bit to be desired.  Once we got there, we beached the kayaks and explored a little bit, after which we traded passengers, thank-you-very-much.  My return passengers were much more complimentary (or at least held their tongues) and we all made it back safe and sound.



The weather was pretty stormy the first weekend and so we spent a few days relaxing at the house.  I read several books during our stay.  It was so nice to leave all the doors open and feel/listen to the ocean breezes.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure we should go back.  ASAP. 

Ryenne had her own room, and the other three shared a room with two twin beds.  Claire was so happy with her "closet", where she chose to sleep on a little mattress.  She was so much fun on the trip.  She loved the decks of the house, and would cuddle on the deckchairs each morning, wrapped up in a blanket.  (Just now, she came to see what I was typing and told me, "I love everything about Hawaii!")  The other day we were cleaning up the house when she asked me, "Mom, did you like it in Hawaii?"  I told her I did, and then she announced, "Then let's get packed up and go back!  Right now!"

I agree!





 
 
 
A favorite part of our stay was breakfast at the picnic table on the back lawn.  Each morning we cooked up breakfast (fancy things like Ego waffles) and sat at the picnic table and ate while we watched the ocean.  We had lots of fun during those breakfasts (and lots of POG- a now favorite juice drink the girls discovered)! 
 
During the days we usually left to go explore, but it was so nice to have somewhere to call home.  Most nights found us cuddled together on the couches for a movie, popcorn (and some more POG, of course!). 
 


No comments: