Thursday, February 11, 2010

no skreaming

This past week, Ryenne participated in her first science fair.

I'm not sure why we've never joined in the fun in the past.

Okay, maybe I do.

It might have had something to do with an non supportive mom.

You know the drill (okay, so maybe you good moms don't know this one yet). You see the note, quietly slip it into the garbage, and hope the whole affair is quickly forgotten. And when your child brings up the subject, you give a brief (very brief) nod of excitement, and then (this is very important) change the subject as quickly as possible. . . .After all, science was never my strong suit, and besides, what kind of science project can a 6 year old come up with anyway? I rationalized away the guilt.

Except that I didn't really feel guilty about it, which is maybe why I felt a little bit guilty.

Anyway, this year Ryenne and Kate weren't buying it.

"Okay," I told myself. "This will be okay. We can be scientific. We can be resourceful. We can be creative. We can be prepared. We can do this."

And so it was that the night before the science fair we were in a mad dash to be scientific. Creative. Resourceful. And absolutely, but characteristically unprepared.

Ryenne had a great time nonetheless. She was proud, and felt quite a little bit of accomplishment at her "Soil Science!" project. We were quite proud of her too.





And in all actuality, it seems that this little venture has merit after all. It seems to have sparked quite a little flame in our Ryenne. Perhaps we have a budding scientist on our hands?

Upon entering the utility bathroom last week, I saw this sign on the door:

Just a word of caution: If you see a sign like this, be afraid. Be very afraid.

However, I think this whole incident shows that I am making progress as a mother. I am becoming more supportive. I am encouraging the development of talents. I am embracing creativity.



And just so you know. I didn't skream. Not even once.

No comments: