Wednesday, February 11, 2009

chapter two

i love the wings you've given me


I love that whenever I come up with a hair brained idea, you think I can do it. Or at least you let me think I can. Never do you laugh. Or ridicule. Oh, you may smile on the inside, but I don't see it. You would never want me to think that you were keeping me from doing something I wanted to do. That's just not your style.


Like the time when I decided I could run a marathon.



Or two. Even when I hadn't trained and decided to jump into it at the last minute. And you didn't even tell me "I could have told you so" when I got shin splints so bad.


When I told you I'd always dreamed of hiking the Narrows, you said "Lets do it." And I loved it.

When I talk of writing a book or wanting to open a bakery someday you tell me I should do it. And make me feel like you I'd be a raging success. When I've discussed my worries about the school system with you, you've told me, "You should start a school." Crazy? Yes, it's all a bit crazy. And I may never do any of it. But you make me think I could if I wanted.

I told you I wanted to hike Angel's Landing. A little bit crazy for a girls who's afraid of heights. When it got hairy, you wouldn't let me quit. As you have so often, you gave me wings to fly. And when we got to the top? Wow! I really did feel like we'd landed on top of the world!



You know that I adore Sister Hinckley. What a great example she is to me! Every time I need a boost, I read and reread her words. This is one of my favorites:

Church magazines: Sister Hinckley, you have said that your husband
“always let me do my own thing. He never insisted that I do anything his way, or
any way, for that matter. From the very beginning he gave me space and let me
fly.”
How has he done that?

Sister Hinckley: He never tells me what to do. He just lets me go. He has
made me feel like a real person. He has encouraged me to do whatever makes me
happy. He doesn’t try to rule or dominate me.


Church magazines: President, you have said: “Some husbands regard it
as their prerogative to compel their wives to fit their standards of what they
think to be the ideal. It never works.”

2
How have you avoided doing this with Sister
Hinckley?


President Hinckley: I’ve tried to recognize my wife’s individuality,
her personality, her desires, her background, her ambitions. Let her fly. Yes,
let her fly! Let her develop her own talents. Let her do things her way. Get out
of her way, and marvel at what she does.



When I first read this, I loved it! It reminded me so much of you. You've always let me do my own thing. You encourage me. You get out of my way and let me fly.

And I love you for it.

No comments: