Monday, February 16, 2009

chapter five

we're growing up together

10 + 4 + 2= 16. That's a long time. 10 (almost 11) years of marriage + 4 years of dating + 2 years writing letters = 16 years of spending time together. Lucky us.

A few weeks ago, we came home from a date and spent the rest of evening laughing about some funny memories from high school. I love that we can do that. We can reminisce about the same funny people. You know what I'm talking about when I laugh about old college memories. I remember the people that you wrote about in your mission letters. We've known each other a long time. I love that we're growing up together.



You were my first boyfriend.
My first kiss.My first date.
You took me to my junior prom.
And as much as I love you, I'm sure glad you weren't my only date! I love that you sat back and waited while I dated other people. I love that I had so much fun in high school and was able to have so many friends. My brothers were always so impressed with you for that.

We shared graduations, college, your mission, and much more through hundreds of letters written while you were in Montana. Once you got home, letters turned to phone calls as we got to know each other again while I was at BYU-Hawaii. Oh boy, I sure loved those phone calls! When I got home, we took off running. And within three months, we made the best decision of our lives. We decided to spend the rest of forever together.
We were just getting started! Newlywed life was so much fun! I remember being amazed that a person could feel so happy. I thought I was happy before we got married, but you made it complete.

After a few years, we made another important decision.
Together, we met have met four of the cutest girls! And life has (thank goodness) never been the same!First, Ryenne Ashleigh. You couldn't get enough of her!
Then Kate Jeannett arrived. Wasn't she so much fun to cuddle?
Emmy Summer has brightened up our family! She makes us laugh every day.



And what would we do without Claire Kelly? She brings such a sweet, peaceful spirit to both of us.
We still can't believe we've had four kids!
If that's not enough, together we've gone through 4 remodels and countless other projects.


We've climbed to the top of quite a few mountains together, and have experienced some pretty amazing sights. Together.


And the best part of it all? There's so much more to come. As much as I've enjoyed the past seventeen years, I'm excited to see what is yet to come. There will be more mountains to climb, challenges to overcome, decisions to make, mistakes to muddle through, projects to do, and girl-growing to watch.


We may have started a bit young. I always get a little worried that one of our girls might find their knight in shining armour at age fifteen, like I did. After all, it added it's one set of challenges. But on the other hand, I've always been convinced that you came into my life at exactly the right time. For so many reasons, I think I needed you beside me while I did all that tough growing up business.
I once overheard your mom telling someone that she thinks the two of us knew each other in heaven, and once we found each other here, it was just like meeting an old friend. It sure seems true, doesn't it? You have always filled a part of me that seemed to be missing.
And you know, I don't know about you, but I'm still not done growing up. I've got a way to go! One of my greatest wishes is that Heavenly Father will not only allow us to grow up together, but hopefully he'll let us grow old together too. I guess we'll just have to see. But one thing I'm convinced of. Our story together will never end.
While I'm concluding this book for now, it's not finished. There are so many more volumes to come. That's the best part of all.
There never will be The End.

4 comments:

Darcie said...

Kelly, I have absolutely loved reading these posts! You are Courtney are a perfect match, and I love one of my best friends has such a great husband. Thanks for sharing these with us!

Darcie said...

Oh, and when it comes time for Ryan and I to remodel our house, will you come do it for us? Pretty please.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly I love all your reminising. Time flies, I am so happy you have your prince & beautiful girls. You are such an awesome cousin, friend & example. xoxoxox

Kami said...

Oh this is one of my favorite love stories of all time! I remember watching you go to your prom and thinking how beautiful and romantic you and Courtney's lives were (and I still are).