Thursday, November 13, 2008

better together. . .

So, I should probably be cleaning my house. But here I sit.

I've been thinking.

Sunday evening I was laying in bed and laughing with my boyfriend, (aka husband) when he tells me something like this . . .

"I thought I better tell you something. I don't want you to be alarmed. There's been something that's going on for a little while, and I think you ought to know. I just don't want you to worry too much. . ."

How's that for a conversation starter?

Turns out he's been having a bit of chest pain. For about a month or more. He thought it would go away, but not so. Seems it's stickin' around. So, of course, what do I do? I get a little alarmed. Heart disease kinda runs in his family.

Monday morning, I call and get him an appointment. The doctor asks him lots of questions, which he answers as vaguely as possible. I try to clarify and fill in some of the gaps.

This morning, we go to the hospital for a scheduled stress test. Again, lots of questions by doctor #2. Again, very vague answers.

Example #1"

"Do you exercise? How fit are you?"

(Very cute little grin). "Well, that depends on what time of year."

(Confused look). "How about this time of year?"

"No. Not really."

He makes the impression that he walks around the block every few months when and if he's feeling ambitious. He does not mention the fact that his work alone makes him more fit than the average individual, or that he competes in triathlons. (He doesn't want to over exaggerate anything.)

Example #2

"Any heart disease in your family?"

"No, not really."

"Heart attacks? High cholesterol?"

"Well, both of my parents are on medicine for cholesterol. My grandpa and great- grandpa had heart attacks in their early sixties."

Now you see, this is one of the cutest things about this little boyfriend of mine. He downplays himself. A lot. He hates making a big deal of anything, most especially himself. Instead, he has this cutest little grin that his mom and I are pretty good at picking up on, which means, "There's a little more going on than I'm telling you."

Did I mention that this grin is very cute? However, sweet darling, we're talking about your heart here, not a hangnail. When I spoke to him about this later, his comment was, "You mean it's not something I can just wrap a papertowel and a little electrical tape around to fix it?" (Again, cute little grin.)

The doctor kept repeating, "I'm sure this is going to be normal, because you're only 32." . . ."You're so young, I'm sure we're not going to find anything."

Come to find out, the test showed some abnormal readings. We'll be going back on Monday for another test where they insert dye into him to see if there are any blockages in his arteries. He's frustrated at having to miss work again. After all, he's only 32. And heaven forbid, we don't want anyone to be "alarmed".

I'm trying not to be alarmed. (The truth is, he probably will be if he reads this.)

They told him to "take it easy" this weekend, and make sure to get into the hospital if anything gets worse.

He came home and went right to work.

I told Him this earlier, but I'm just making sure Heavenly Father knows this about me and my boyfriend. I need him. I do. We've done this together for a while now. And it's just that I've learned we do it pretty well together.

Hopefully, this will turn out to be a lot of worry about nothing. It better, because he'll be really, really mad if he has to miss more work.

And I'll be really, really alarmed if he leaves me.

4 comments:

dippyrooroo said...

Wow Kelly. Thankfully, there is modern medicine, so even if things aren't quite where they should be, they can help him. But it's an awful thing to have to even think about.
James and I had a scare, probably three years ago, about his liver. There's genetic stuff in his family. When its a possibility, it's hard to think about anything else. For us it turned out not to be quite as big a deal as we were afraid it would be. They gave us things to do to keep things under control and things to look out for. But if it were to get bad, I don't know how I could handle it. We've been doing this for 11 years now, and every additional year binds us tighter and tighter together. You guys have been at this together thing a sight longer than we have. I can imagine how much stronger those bonds are for you.
But like I said, there is modern medicine, so worst case scenario is not going to be your scenario.

JeN said...

Wow, I hope everything works out so both you won't be alarmed, and he won't have to miss any more work.. We are praying for the best!!!

Val said...

Sorry to hear about all the stress. Heart things are always scary. Wish you luck for the tests on Monday.

Darcie said...

Kelly I hope everything works out!

(And don't worry, I won't tell Courtney you have a boyfriend.)