Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Counting my many blessings. . . .

I've been thinking today about all the things I like about my family.

Amidst all the hub-bub of life, I find it easy to get in a rut of looking at our short-comings. Just the other day, my sisters and I were bemoaning our bad mothering/kid/family moments. My sister Jodi (always the positive one) told a story about a family member who was reminded (by a psychologist- who really does see real family struggles) that most of us have terrific kids, who we should adore and be most grateful for.

And so I've been thinking a lot about that the past week or so. And you know what- I live with some fun people! I have a lot of reasons to smile.

For instance, I love to hear Ryenne and Emmy giggle. These girls could make a living as professional gigglers. And I laugh out loud everytime I think of Kate and all of the funny things she says. Just the other day she told us that she would like to take lessons on how to fall asleep. She is sure she never sleeps at night. (This is funny to us because she is our model sleeper. She is first to fall asleep, never wakes to household noise, and the last awake each morning).

I love the way Ryenne likes to make everything beautiful. I was able to watch her at ballet class and she is such a cute little girl. She loves nature and is always pointing out an almost hidden bird nest, a beautiful flower, or the most vivid leaf on a tree.

I smile when I think about Kate's determination- don't tell her she can't do something. She'll try even harder. Just Sunday I bore my testimony only because I followed Kate to the pulpit.

Our lives wouldn't be complete without Emmy starting and ending our day. (A little more well rested, perhaps, but not complete). It is not unusual, at 6:00 in the morning when I am in the garage exercising to see Emmy's face pressed up to the glass. And at 10:00 at night, we often fall asleep to the sound of her laughing or singing to herself as she tries to play with her toys in her dark room.

I love watching the girls marching in a line out in the backyard, off on some exciting adventure. I can ussually hear their excited voices calling to eachother in response to what must surely have been another amazing discovery.

And how could I forget Courtney? I love when he arrives home from work. The house is all giggles and pattering feet as everyone runs to a window or out the door- trying to be the first to see Daddy. Those are fun moments. I like that he wipes down the shower after he uses it to save me a little bit of work. I'm glad he doesn't hold it against me that I don't fix his lunch. He loves me anyway! I love it when I see him in the rocking chair, cuddled up with three little girls and a book. And last but not least, I adore his smile.

So it is true. An "attitude of gratitude" can go a long way in transforming what I sometimes overlook as ordinary moments into fun and memorable blessings in my life. Life is good.

Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

dippyrooroo said...

That's beautiful Kelly. Years from now your family will be so glad that you put down in words the things that you loved about them. Actually, it will probably help them today too, if they read that and know that you notice the great things they do and want everyone else to know how much you love them. I believe what you said about how counting your blessings can change your perspective. Sometimes if my kids just seem to be purposely acting out, if I step back I realize that all my frustration is fueling their bad behavior. And if I can focus on the great things they do, like you suggested, things usually change for the better.

Darcie said...

Loved this post Kelly. It's neat that your girls are such good friends with each other. That's not always the casae with siblings, especially girls.

And will you STOP exercising in the wee hours of the morning?! You should be sleeping!

kelly said...

Okay, I just have to clarify a few things! My girls do not ALWAYs get along wonderfully, but they do pretty well. We have our many, many moments each day. Which is why I have to sit back and remind myself about all the things we like about eachother! And yes, I should be sleeping, but if I don't exercise at 5:30 in the am, I don't exercise. Sad, but true.

Darcie said...

well then, just don't exercise. I don't. It suits me quite fine. :)