Sunday, April 27, 2008

Kate's Wild Ride

We have a huge (actually several) dirt pile in our back yard that the girls love to play on. The latest craze seems to be riding down the tallest hill on this yellow sleddish thing that us Croney's used to ride on when we went water skiing. (We used it as a knee board before knee boards were in style.) Although they have had several disasters while attempting to do this, we can't talk them out of it. Yesterday was no exception. The sun was out, and the girls were feeling the groove. For a while. The story seems to be that Ryenne and Emmy were loaded on to the board, and "accidentally" started down the hill before Kate climbed aboard. Being determined as she is, she dove for it to try to catch a ride. Bummer. . .she missed.

I was in the house when I heard her hysterically screaming. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like I could ask her to pose for a picture at the time. Instead, I tried to do what any compassionate mother would do, and took her to the bathroom to clean and doctor her up as best as possible. I'm still feeling a little bummed about the picture, because it would have been a really great one. She had dirt packed into both nostrils. We got those blown out, and then examined her mouth, which was also filled with dirt. She was bleeding pretty good, and I was having a hard time deciphering what was skin, dirt, etc., so I went to get Courtney. As soon as he took over, I couldn't help it. All of my efforts to be a good mom went out the window. I just started to laugh. Hysterically. She had done an A+ face plant!

Luckily for Kate, she walked away with only a slightly fat lip and some scratches. And luckily for us, she is very tough! We (once again) tried to dissuade the girls from any further rides down the dirt pile, but to no avail. It seems we are raising three thrill seekers.

Good thing Uncle AJ can do cosmetic surgery. I'm afraid that one of these days we may be needing his services. Only next time, I think I'll take a picture.

2 comments:

dippyrooroo said...

Oh boy! Tricks like that will get Mom's heat racing, as well as those little thrill seekers! Being a kid has a really high learning curve!

Darcie said...

I guess I'm not a compassionate mom either... I laughed through this whole post. Dirt in both her nostrils?! Poor girl!